Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I Went to the Garden of Love...

During my research I came across a link to a photo that caught my eye. The title of the photo is "I Went to the Garden of Love" done by Evelyn Williams. A fellow blogger posted a topic dealing with her heart and said that it is the epitome of tenderness and gender biasness that is what really makes Williams work in this special. I have to agree because the gender bias idea is what originally caught my attention with this piece. We see the gender norm fashion of a woman kissing/embracing a man but then there is some homosexuality going on where men are trying to embrace other men but the women are keeping them form doing such. Does this have meaning behind it or what? I believe that this piece gives off the idea that communities are stuck in this "gender norm" idea and it keeps people from doing what feels right to them when it comes to them.

I think the women represent the gender norm that people tend to be stuck in and them pulling the faces of the men that are trying to embrace the other men away is the impact that expectations and tradition has on people. The same goes for the women in the case that they try to embrace the women but are being pulled away by the expectant man. What do you guys think of this? Are we too stuck in the gender norm way of thinking that people are reluctant to fight for what they feel is right? Do people try to keep others away from fulfilling their own desires if it's not what they want/believe is right?

-Justine Samaha

Here is where I found this
http://www.tikkun.org/tikkundaily/author/philbarcio/

3 comments:

  1. i do agree. I think the art work speaks for itself, and i like the link you made on how it pulls women into the gender roles. If you look at the hands you will see that some of the women have blank stairs like there isn't a choice. great piece
    -Lauren Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with what you are saying but i think i interrupt it a little bit differently. I think that the picture is of couples, mostly men and women, and how they seem so perfect on the surface but once you look at there faces, they don't seem so happy. Maybe its showing how people are expected to marry and settle down, and to be with the opposite sex. Maybe they are not happy with being heterosexual. Thats just what i think!
    Monique Domas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea that you talk about "gender norms" as they pertain to this work of art. I like Monique's comment about the fact that they seem perfect, but may not be. I would have to say that maybe that could represent the fact that some people pretend they are happy in heterosexual relationships when they really aren't. They hide who they are so that they will not be shunned by society. I also really like the color that is used in this piece of art. It makes it look like they are all happy if you glance at it, but then when you focus more on their faces you can see their true expressions. It's interesting that this can be interpreted different ways by different people.

    -Crystal Feska-

    ReplyDelete